meet legendary Buffalo Trace Master Distiller, Harlen Wheatley, for lunch and a private tour of the distillery in Frankfort, KY!
Experience will occur within the following date range(s):
Nov 05, 2018 to Dec 31, 2019
- Experience blackout dates: Not valid on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Harlen’s formal education in chemistry and chemical engineering brought him to Buffalo Trace Distillery, but it’s the on-the-job experience that led him to become the resident Master Distiller in 2005. Born in Mount Sterling, Kentucky, in 1969, Harlen has spent almost all of his life in the Bluegrass. After relocating and spending much of his youth in Florence, KY, Harlen attended Northern Kentucky University, attaining his degree in chemistry. He then migrated to work full-time at a chemical company in Central Kentucky while completing a chemical engineering degree at the University of Kentucky, gaining formal training in distillation and separation techniques.
Harlen joined the Distillery as a supervisor in 1995. Not long after, the Distillery was rechristened and the flagship Buffalo Trace Bourbon was introduced. It marked a new era in the Distillery’s esteemed history and Harlen continued to make his mark as he was promoted to Distillery Manager in 2000. Harlen was named Master Distiller in 2005, becoming Buffalo Trace's sixth Master Distiller since the Civil War. Having worked in every aspect of production from raw materials to barrel aging, as Master Distiller, Harlen has driven many initiatives, including solidifying standards and consistency, quality focus and efficiency gains. He is active in overseeing a number of distilling and aging operations in various locations, all while promoting and educating the public on some of the world’s finest bourbon whiskeys. Harlen is a four-time James Beard Award nominee in Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional category.
Additional Experience Details
- Participant must be at least 21.
- Valid for 4 people.
- Approximate duration of tour: 1 Hour.
- Approximate duration of meet and greet with Harlan: 15 Minutes.
- Must be booked as soon as possible in accordance with Harlen's schedule.
- A meal is part of the event.
- The meal cost is included.
- Alcoholic beverages are included.
- Gratuity is included.
- Please note, Harlen will most likely not lead the tour himself and this must be scheduled subject to his availability.
- Reservations are required.
- Valid Monday-Thursday only.